Thursday, June 11, 2009

Worst Attended Cemetery Award: Newburyport

I've just returned from giving an individual tour of the Old Hill Burying Ground in Newburyport, Massachusetts. This small, seaside city is normally known for its beauty and rich history. Aside from the fact the grass has yet to be mowed, that trees and other plants are overgrown and overtaking gravestones...
that some of this has died and come crashing and smashing down then left to rot...
that there are twice as many broken gravestones since the last time I visited...
that the place is full of numerous animal holes located just where you forget to look where you're going...
The city has left this resting place of their founding fathers derelict, disregarded and disrespected. I'm a little disgusted.

1 comment:

jimplummer said...

That is just despicable Shame on the City Of NEWBURY. I would be aghast to find my ancestors graves all fallen down. and i am a descendant of one of them, Francis Plumer